Our Facilities Manager is responsible for the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems at our world-class research facility in Baltimore, MD.
Home to several leaders in the cellular, genetic, and developmental sciences—including 2 Nobel laureates—the Carnegie Institution for Science, Department of Embryology is looking for a creative and collaborative person to join our renowned research environment. As Facilities Manager, you would lead a dynamic team, working directly with biologists and major research tools like advanced microscopes and biochemical instrumentation to ensure that our research runs smoothly and safely.
Since our foundation in 1902, the Carnegie Institution for Science has fundamentally changed how humans understand the cosmos, our planet, and the synergy of molecules that makes life possible. We empower our staff to demonstrate intellectual courage, challenge conventional ideas, and transform the world. Join us!
The Facilities Manager is responsible for inspection, maintenance and repairs to mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems to ensure optimal operating results. Additionally the position manages facility operations, staff, office moves and janitorial services, all while maintaining compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Coordinate system repairs and monitor system performance
- Maintain adequate parts inventory and order items as necessary
- Maintain contracts for critical services
- Oversee and supervise team of (2) maintenance technicians
- Execute equipment audits and record-taking policies
- Coordinate with the Director on the implementation of new building projects
- Ensure compliance with all safety and security protocols
- Help maintain Radiation Program License (1)
- Maintain Elevator License (1)
- Maintain pressure vessel registration (10)
- Maintain life safety and emergency controls
- Support scientific research efforts
- Oversee plant operations and scientific support systems
- Manage a BMS system for work order ticketing and service requests
Skills and Qualifications
- Stationary Engineering License Grade 3 is required, Grade 1 preferred
- 10+ years’ experience in facilities management position
- Strong understanding of building control systems
- Able to read and understand complex electrical, mechanical and automation systems
- Working knowledge of electrical, mechanical and HVAC systems
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Occasionally ascends/descends a ladder to service equipment
- Frequently moves/transports equipment weighing up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.