Biology Faculty MemberCarroll Community College
Biology Faculty Member
Carroll Community College seeks a Full Time Biology Faculty Member.
Job Summary: The Faculty Member is responsible for planning and making available appropriate study materials, conducting educationally valuable activities in the classroom, using current best practice, making assignments of student work across learning styles, and evaluating and grading student progress. The faculty member will engage in peer mentoring, possible student research and a variety of student-centered campus activities. This position reports to the Chairperson of Sciences Division.
Essential Job Functions:
- Teaching the equivalent of 30 teaching load hours over the academic year.
- Administering appropriate examinations including final examinations.
- Maintaining a grade book.
- Collecting and analyzing outcomes data.
- Working with students on independent projects.
- Leading, mentoring and overseeing curriculum and assessment.
- Scheduling and posting a minimum of five hours per week of office hours.
- Providing educational advisement to students, including directing those in need of assistance to appropriate laboratories, clinics, or counselors.
- Cooperating with the library staff and program director to ensure adequate library and materials are available for each class.
- Assisting in the curricular and staff development necessary to create new learning opportunities for students or to maintain the viability of current offerings.
- Attending divisional meetings, general faculty meetings and college-wide meetings.
- Remaining abreast in assigned field of study and pursuing additional formal education as appropriate.
- Serving on appropriate college committees.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements To Perform Work: Master's degree in biological sciences or in a related field, two years’ full-time equivalent of experience autonomously teaching lectures and labs, and ability to use technology in teaching. Candidates with Masters in Education with 18 graduate course credits in biological sciences will also be considered. Full-time equivalency is equated as having taught on average at least three biology courses per spring/fall semesters for at least two academic years with summer teaching considered. Teaching experience within the last five years is preferred. Preference given to candidates with experience at the community college level who have taught majors and non-major introductory level biology courses in active learning classroom environment. Must be positive, cooperative and supportive.
Physical Demands: This work is normally sedentary work, which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: hearing, speaking, talking, visual acuity, mental acuity, repetitive motion (i.e. keyboarding), standing and walking.
Work Environment: College campus, direct contact with students, staff, faculty and the general public in classrooms, common areas, office, and campus environments. Use of safe workplace practices with office equipment; computers for data entry and word processing; avoidance of trips and falls; observance of fire and building safety regulations; observance of traffic signals when driving.