Adjunct Faculty - Nursing - Clinical - MD
Carroll Community College seeks a part-time Adjunct Faculty - Nursing - Clinical.
Adjunct faculty are assigned primarily teaching duties – supervising a group of students in a clinical setting. Actual hours worked on- and off-campus in any given week can vary according to grading, class preparation requirements, professional development activities, and office hours. Adjunct faculty member responsibilities are primarily to teach students in the clinical setting, assess learning, and engage in professional development. Nursing Adjunct Faculty report to the Chair, Allied Health or designee.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teach no more than the equivalent of 24-teaching load hours per year (per measurement period under the ACA)
- Provide the clinical facility a copy of the clinical evaluation tool and course syllabi
- Hold clinical sessions as scheduled; be on time for clinical
- Do not leave the students alone on the clinical unit
- Provide clear and concise feedback to students on concept maps and weekly clinical evaluation tool before the next clinical day; immediate feedback on clinical concerns
- Correct errors in student judgment and behavior as they occur
- Follow the dress code and enforce it with students
- Check and respond to all emails within two business days
- Assist students and direct them to appropriate resources
- Contribute to student retention and completion initiatives
- Participate in outcomes assessment and respond to data
- Collaborate with student support offices and professionals
- Report concerns about student clinical performance to the Clinical Coordinator within 24 hours after occurrence
- Complete summative clinical evaluation tool and meet with student face-to-face to discuss the outcome; submit the document to office administrative assistant within 1 week after rotation is over
- Assess student knowledge using Socratic questioning about patient
- Follow the weekly benchmarks for students
- Communicate with facility staff about patient condition and when making patient assignments
- Observe students perform all skills; must supervise all medication administration
- Engage in professional development including departmental orientation
- Attend required meetings and complete mandatory trainings including orientation at the clinical facility
- Adapt to emerging challenges and demands to serve the college and its students
- Follow policies as outlined in the Faculty Handbook
- Perform other duties as assigned
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing; Master’s degree in Nursing preferred
- Current unencumbered license as a registered nurse in Maryland or compact state
- Two years clinical experience as an RN within the last five years.
- Prior college teaching experience preferred.
- Knowledge, skills and abilities required include knowledge of current clinical practice and evidence-based nursing, knowledge of basic principles of education, skill in communicating with students and other faculty members, and skill in manipulating equipment.
- Variable schedule.
- Must be positive, cooperative and supportive
This work is normally light work which requires exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Hear/talk/communicate – Must be able to exchange information and communicate
- Visual Acuity/ability to perceive or detect surroundings
- Mental acuity – Able to focus, concentrate, understand and convey subject matter
- Repetitive motion (i.e. keyboarding)
- Stand/sit/walk/able to move or traverse from one area to another
College campus, direct contact with students, staff, faculty and the general public in classrooms, common areas, offices, and campus environments and clinical sites. Use of safe workplace practices with office equipment; computers for data entry and word processing; avoidance of trips and falls; observance of fire and building safety regulations; and observance of traffic laws when/if driving a College vehicle.