Library Services Specialist
Library Services Specialist
Carroll Community College seeks a full-time Library Services Specialist.
This position is responsible for performance of circulation duties for the College library. This position reports to the Librarian, Technical Services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides circulation desk services to the students and the public including, but not limited to; checking in/out materials, coordinating computer and copier use, and answering related questions; collaborates with other libraries on borrowing materials and financial policies; and assists in responding to requests from outside libraries.
- Staffs, troubleshoots, and serves as contact point with IT for student Photo ID badge processing
- Assists students with student email, Canvas, Lynx Portal, and Microsoft Office issues; troubleshoots printers, triages, and communicates with technical support as needed.
- Utilizes 25 Live to answer/schedule location questions.
- Manages textbook reserves collection and print periodical holdings, including open educational resources (OERs).
- Updates print periodical holdings in electronic journal finder.
- Identifies courses that are transitioning to new or digital editions/different publishers/OERs; checks the status of requested textbooks, processes new textbooks, and removes obsolete textbooks from reserve status.
- Follows changes to bookstore orders between terms to ensure library textbook holdings match bookstore offerings.
- Assists patrons in using circulation software and locating materials; processes, shelves and assists with inventory of library materials; identifies books for resale/disposal; processes book donations; updates and maintains reserve collection.
- Tracks and processes late, lost or damaged materials; implements overdue procedures including fines; resolves accounts; coordinates with Business Office to report and resolve student financial obligations.
- Balances, documents, and monitors cash box holdings/receipts; deposits cash/checks into accounts.
- Develops and updates library quick reference pages; assists in training student aides; assists in updating library policies.
- Maintains statistical records and generates reports.
- Assists with office tasks such as word processing, mail, data entry, and copying.
- Assists with College archiving, periodicals processing, and College Book Fair as needed.
- Serves as backup administrator for interlibrary loan.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- Associate’s degree and/or two years of related experience or one year of circulation experience using Polaris ILS. Academic library experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel.
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Excellent customer service skills
- Available for regular evening and weekend work
- Must be positive, cooperative, flexible, and supportive
The work may require periods of standing, as well as some physical activity required to lift books, move book carts and shelve books. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Hear/talk/communicate – Must be able to exchange information and communicate
- Visual acuity - Ability to perceive or detect surroundings
- Mental acuity – Ability to focus, concentrate, understand and convey subject matter
- Repetitive motion (i.e. keyboarding)
- Stand/sit/walk – Ability to move or traverse from one area to another
College campus, direct contact with students, staff, faculty and the general public in the library, classrooms, common areas, offices, and campus environments. Use of safe workplace practices with office equipment; computers for data entry and word processing; avoidance of trips and falls; observance of fire and building safety regulations; and observance of traffic laws when/if driving a College vehicle.