Performs installation and maintenance of wiring, electrical systems and equipment up to 480 volts 3 phase. This position is responsible for performing skilled work involving the installation, maintenance, and repair of the Electrical Systems for the entire Physical Plant of the Wye Mills Campus and the Cambridge Center. In addition to this position; diagnoses electrical problems, locate faults and recommends upgrades and repairs. Orders materials and supplies as needed to maintain electrical/mechanical systems and works with outside contractors as needed to facilitate work in a timely manner. Advises and assists other technicians with wiring problems on equipment such as fans, heaters, pumps or vehicle electrical systems. Also assists other technicians in their trades or with other tasks which require additional manpower. This employee will be required to use reasonable care, judgment, and the safe application of their knowledge in the performance of their duties. This position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends, holidays, and college emergencies. This position is designated as “essential” and will require working outside normal work hours. Essential personnel may be called in to work outside of regular working hours to assist with inclement weather and other college activities.
- Maintains all exterior and interior electrical and lightings systems, transformers, fixtures, controls, switch gear, and bulbs.
- Maintain adequate levels of inventory for all electrical and lighting systems.
- Trouble shoots and formulates plans for the effective and swift resolution to both major and minor repairs of the electrical and lighting systems.
- Maintains all clocks and adjusts automatic lighting control systems to insure proper schedules for interior and exterior lighting systems.
- Insure safe operation of all electrical equipment by strict adherence to safety precaution.
- Maintain low voltage substations, breakers, relays, transformers, and generators.
- Read and interpret blueprints and specifications.
- On call or kept over as needed for snow removal and other similar emergencies.
- Wears college supplied uniform in order to be readily identified as a Chesapeake College Facilities Department employee.
- Other duties and tasks, that may cross different departments or trades, as assigned.
High school diploma or G.E.D. Must have one of the following: Completed a four (4) year apprenticeship and three (3) years as a journeyman Electrician: or, a minimum of ten (10) years experience working as an electrician or electrical foreman in a commercial/institutional/industrial setting. Possession and retention of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license is also a requirement thorough knowledge of the principles, terminology, tools and equipment used in the electrical trade including the following: thorough knowledge of electrical theory and codes, ability to read and interpret blueprints, specifications, and schematics. Ability to make repairs using electrical safety practices; ability to work with all voltages; good knowledge of mechanical systems and repair work; ability to plan and direct work of other electricians and assistants; ability to perform manual work; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and supervisors; knowledge of energy management systems; some knowledge of personal computers and pertinent application; regular and timely attendance; performance of duties a safe manner.
- Receive instructions through various communication media accurately and quickly.
- Convey answers or instructions to other workers accurately and quickly.
- Must be able to lift and move up to a maximum of 50 pounds.
- The worker will be subject to dust, noise, fumes, and odors.
- The worker will be exposed to inside and outside environmental conditions.
- The physical activity of this position includes, but is not limited to: climbing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, pulling, lifting, grasping, twisting, sitting, and feeling.
- Safety equipment will be provided where needed and required to be worn or used.