HVAC Technician I
Chesapeake College offers a complete benefits package including: medical, dental, vision, retirement, life insurance, disability income insurance, tuition remission/reimbursement; flex-time; extended holiday breaks, vacation, sick leave and Friday closures in the summer!
Under minimum supervision, technician installs, services, and repairs a variety of residential and commercial air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating and ventilation equipment. Mechanics in this department must install and service residential, commercial heat pumps and air-conditioning systems up to 200 tons. Responsible for service of oil-fired hot water boilers. In order to fully utilize the equipment, person in this category must have ability to repair and retrofit, old and obsolete equipment, to keep operational. This position requires one of the highest technical levels in the Facilities Department. This position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends, holidays, and college emergencies. This position is designated as “essential” and will require working outside normal work hours. Essential personnel may be called in to work outside of regular working hours to assist with inclement weather and other college activities.
Examples of Duties
- Assists in operating servicing and repairing pneumatic electric and electronic control systems on HVAC systems.
- Assists in servicing and repairing traps, circulating pumps, condensate pumps, control valves and burners on hot water boilers and hydraulics systems.
- Assists in regulating sand monitors air conditioning compressors and all building air handling equipment as per prescribed by operating procedures.
- Performs service tasks such as adding refrigerant, lubricating, adjusting and replacing compressors along with expansion devices, repairing pumps, cleaning out air handling units, repacking valves and replacing pump seals.
- Helps to diagnoses HVAC system problems using computer reviews, mechanical and electrical blueprints, schematics, specifications, and performance date to identify system problems and performance.
- Wears College supplied uniform in order to be readily identified as a Chesapeake College Facilities Department employee.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Master HVAC License preferred, High School Diploma or G.E.D required. At least (3) three years heating and air-conditioning experience. Three years commercial geothermal experience preferred but not required. Knowledge of Heating and A/C operating controls, and computer based energy management systems preferred. Must have the ability to troubleshoot heating and air-conditioning systems and make successful repairs. Must have knowledge of basic electrical circuitry and how it applies to HVAC-R controls and wiring systems. Work in adverse weather conditions, and work in both confined and elevated spaces.
- Receive instructions through various communication media accurately and quickly.
- Convey answers or instructions to other workers accurately and quickly.
- Must be able to lift and move up to a maximum of 50 pounds.
- The worker will be subject to dust, noise, fumes, and odors.
- The workers will be exposed to inside and outside environmental conditions.
- The physical activity of this position includes, but is not limited to: climbing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching standing, pulling, lifting, grasping, twisting, sitting and feeling.
- Safety equipment will be provided where needed and required to be worn or used.