IT Engineer I
With limited supervision administer and maintain the working technology infrastructure environment for the Wye Mills and Cambridge facilities. Administer the virtual host environments, guest servers, physical servers, and network devices. Assist in the resolution of any network and system emergencies. Major areas of responsibility include: System Administration, Account Provisioning, System Configuration and Updates, Group Policy, Office 365 Administration and System Monitoring. May be asked to assist with network management, network security, and infrastructure and server management.
This position is designated as “essential” and requires the ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends, holidays (with advance notice), and college emergencies.
- Administer Windows and Linux servers for e-mail, file sharing, applications, and Internet access.
- Administer Active Directory for user creation, modification, and deletion and delegated rights.
- Administer and troubleshoot end user email issues for both Office 365 and Gmail.
- Provide level III technical support to help desk and technology support analysts.
- Develop and design for migration to any new operating system and plan for any multiphase implementation.
- Perform system security checks and audits.
- Monitor user activity and audit logs for suspicious activity and/or unauthorized access.
- Monitor system activity and audit logs for suspicious activity and/or unauthorized access.
- Maintain and administer an alert notification system to proactively monitor server metrics.
- Administer and maintain application patch management for all servers and workstations.
- Recommend, create, and implement policies for user management and group policy.
- Create and maintain test environments for new operating systems and future applications.
- Research solutions and new technologies.
- Coordinate any projects involving configuration or change of use of servers.
- Review strategies for workstation management/repair developed by the Help Desk.
- Determine future needs and recommend hardware/software solutions.
- Communicate with internal and external customers on technology projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
An Associate’s degree or equivalent experience is required. At least four (4) to six (6) years’ technology related experience. At least two (2) to four (4) years’ experience providing systems administration and software patch management. A Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems may be substituted for one-half of the required experience. Must have server operating systems Windows and Linux experience. Basic networking knowledge of TCP/IP and networking devices such as routers, firewalls, switches and other network devices. Prefer experience with Office 365, Microsoft SQL, MySQL, WSUS, SCCM, WDS and other Microsoft services desirable.
Ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical persons. Understanding of hardware for server systems and for networking. Ability to work under pressure and without supervision. Stooping, bending, minor lifting.
- Most of the job is sedentary, however, occasional periods of light work may be required
- Lifting up to approx. 50 lb. occasionally,
- The worker will be exposed primarily to inside office conditions,
- Oral and written communication,
- The employee must be able to receive, understand, and communicate verbal and written instruction and communicate in the English language.
- Visual acuity appropriate for a normal technical-type position
- Pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching, - occasionally
- Bending, stooping, kneeling, - occasionally
- Climbing stairs – occasionally
- Working on ladders - occasionally
- Walking - frequently
- Occasional travel may be required