IT Engineer II
This role requires strong, demonstrable hands-on knowledge and experience assessing, configuring, supporting, and troubleshooting all aspects of the technology environment including but not limited to: systems, network, telephony, wireless, virtualization, storage, and security technologies.
With limited supervision manage and maintain the working technology infrastructure environment for the Wye Mills and Cambridge facilities. Coordinate all infrastructure projects and configuration of all network devices and servers.
This position is designated as “essential” and requires the ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends, holidays (with advance notice), and college emergencies.
- Manage and maintain Windows and Linux servers for e-mail, file sharing, applications and
- Internet access.
- Monitor and analyze traffic and performance of network devices both wired and wireless
- (switches, routers, servers).
- Develop and design for migration to any new operating system and plan for any multiphase implementation.
- Perform security checks on network devices and systems.
- Create and maintain test environments for new operating systems and future applications.
- Research solutions and new technologies.
- Coordinate any projects involving configuration or change of use of network devices.
- Assist Help Desk and other team members in resolving computer problems.
- Review strategies for workstation management/repair developed by the Helpdesk.
- Determine future needs and recommend hardware/software solutions.
- Supervise outside vendors.
- Communicate with internal and external customers on technology projects.
- Act as a mentor to other team members.
- Must be detailed-oriented and demonstrate excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrate a customer service-oriented attitude, work well under pressure, and possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must have the ability to create precise and accurate documentation
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds during installations or configurations
A Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline, or equivalent experience is required. Minimum four (4) to six (6) years of systems and/or network engineering experience. A Master’s degree in Information Systems may be substituted for one-half of the required experience.
- Expert level experience configuring and troubleshooting routers and switches
- Firewall experience (Palo Alto is highly desired)
- Developing and implementing cybersecurity measures and remediation strategies
- VPN management experience
- Extensive wireless experience supporting Aruba, or other wireless technologies
- VoIP configuration, management, troubleshooting, and integrations
- VMware configuration, ability to create new virtual machines, manage ESXi clusters, and troubleshoot
- Solid understanding of enterprise grade storage solutions
Knowledge of TCP/IP including IPV6- based network protocols. Ability to configure network devices such as routers, firewalls, switches and other network devices. Knowledge of UDP, RTP, VLAN, QoS. Knowledge of Network Protocols (ISUP, SS7, ISDN, AIN) and features (E911, CALEA). Knowledge of Networking Technologies (IP, MPLS, Routing/Switching, VPN, IPsec, Ethernet). Server operating systems VM, Windows, Linux, Unix, Microsoft SQL, MySQL
- Most of the job is sedentary, however, occasional periods of light work may be required
- Lifting up to approx. 50 lb. occasionally,
- The worker will be exposed primarily to inside office conditions,
- Oral and written communication,
- The employee must be able to receive, understand, and communicate verbal and written instruction and communicate in the English language.
- Visual acuity appropriate for a normal technical-type position
- Pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching, - occasionally
- Bending, stooping, kneeling, - occasionally
- Climbing stairs – occasionally
- Working on ladders - occasionally
- Walking - frequently
- Occasional travel may be required