IT Engineer II
This role requires strong, demonstrable hands-on knowledge and experience assessing, configuring, supporting, and troubleshooting all aspects of the technology environment including but not limited to: systems, network, telephony, wireless, virtualization, storage, and security technologies.
With limited supervision manage and maintain the working technology infrastructure environment for the Wye Mills and Cambridge facilities. Coordinate all infrastructure projects and configuration of all network devices and servers.
This position is designated as “essential” and requires the ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends, holidays (with advance notice), and college emergencies.
Major areas of responsibility include:
·Plan, design, implement, monitor, troubleshoot and maintain the operational health of the highly available College infrastructure.
·Develop scalable and maintainable solutions that meet business requirements.
·Provide a higher-level of escalation support to systems, networking, and help-desk staff.
·Install, configure, and support networking and security equipment from a wide range of industry leading vendors, including but not limited to Aruba, Dell, and Palo Alto.
·Interface with multiple departments as the subject matter expert resource to assess, recommend, project plan, and implement technology solutions in support of business initiatives.
·Proactively monitor and report on overall technology service performance and take action to correct deficiencies in monitoring and controlling the quality of individual network services.
Create and maintain technical documentation including systems integrations diagrams, network design diagrams, operational procedures, knowledge base documents, disaster recovery plans and training documentation.
Network and Server Management: Provides recommendations of network and server hardware and software solutions for ongoing and future projects. Must be familiar with the software and hardware strategies in use and be prepared to work with other technical staff members in resolving issues. Design and implement strategies for failover, redundancy, and high availability in an environment that demands 24/7/365 operability. Maintains the server farm including both physical and virtual server environments.
Network Security: Develop and implement both physical and electronic security and provide for disaster recovery. Research, develop, implement, test and review the college’s information security practices to protect College information and prevent unauthorized access. Inform users about security measures, explain potential threats, install software, implement security measures and monitor networks.
Infrastructure Management: Develop and maintain network architectural standards. Ensure the growth of capacity for all network operations including Internet bandwidth, firewalls, Quality of Service, applications including email services, and all other network functions. Produce detailed network design and server documentation. Maintain the infrastructure including connectivity between Wye Mills and Cambridge. Design and implement improvements for both wireless and wired infrastructure. Work with partners and vendors to maintain and support infrastructure.
Technical Consulting: Consult with upper level decision makers as well as technicians to discuss new and alternative technical solutions. Requires detailed understanding of network infrastructure and fundamental understanding of any technology using the infrastructure. Serve as a technical lead on all building and technical innovation projects.
- Manage and maintain Windows and Linux servers for e-mail, file sharing, applications and Internet access.
- Monitor and analyze traffic and performance of network devices both wired and wireless (switches, routers, servers).
- Develop and design for migration to any new operating system and plan for any multiphase implementation.
- Perform security checks on network devices and systems.
- Create and maintain test environments for new operating systems and future applications.
- Research solutions and new technologies.
- Coordinate any projects involving configuration or change of use of network devices.
- Assist Help Desk and other team members in resolving computer problems.
- Review strategies for workstation management/repair developed by the Helpdesk.
- Determine future needs and recommend hardware/software solutions.
- Supervise outside vendors.
- Communicate with internal and external customers on technology projects.
- Act as a mentor to other team members.
- Must be detailed-oriented and demonstrate excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrate a customer service-oriented attitude, work well under pressure, and possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to create precise and accurate documentation.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds during installations or configurations.
A Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline, or equivalent experience is required. Minimum four (4) to six (6) years of systems and/or network engineering experience. A Master’s degree in Information Systems may be substituted for one-half of the required experience.
- Expert level experience configuring and troubleshooting routers and switches
- Firewall experience (Palo Alto is highly desired)
- Developing and implementing cybersecurity measures and remediation strategies
- VPN management experience
- Extensive wireless experience supporting Aruba, or other wireless technologies
- VoIP configuration, management, troubleshooting, and integrations
- VMware configuration, ability to create new virtual machines, manage ESXi clusters, and troubleshoot
- Solid understanding of enterprise grade storage solutions
Knowledge of TCP/IP including IPV6- based network protocols. Ability to configure network devices such as routers, firewalls, switches and other network devices. Knowledge of UDP, RTP, VLAN, QoS. Knowledge of Network Protocols (ISUP, SS7, ISDN, AIN) and features (E911, CALEA). Knowledge of Networking Technologies (IP, MPLS, Routing/Switching, VPN, IPsec, Ethernet). Server operating systems VM, Windows, Linux, Unix, Microsoft SQL, MySQL.
- Most of the job is sedentary, however, occasional periods of light work may be required.
- Lifting up to approx. 50 lb. occasionally,
- The worker will be exposed primarily to inside office conditions,
- Oral and written communication,
- The employee must be able to receive, understand, and communicate verbal and written instruction and communicate in the English language.
- Visual acuity appropriate for a normal technical-type position.
- Grasping, Pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching, - occasionally
- Bending, stooping, kneeling, - occasionally
- Climbing stairs – occasionally
- Working on ladders - occasionally
- Walking - frequently
- Occasional travel may be required.