Special Assistant to the President and CEO
East Baltimore Development, Inc.
Summary: This position is responsible for the high-level project coordination and administrative functions for the President and CEO and other EBDI Executive staff, as needed. He/She is a self-starter, solution-oriented, focused on attention to detail and able to work in a fast-paced and politically charged environment. He/She knows the formal and informal organizational goals, standards, policies and procedures, including familiarity with EBDI stakeholders, funders and partners, and is sensitive to the interrelationship of people (internal and external) and their functions within the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are Essential:
- Prepares materials and briefs in preparation for meetings and presentations with internal and external participants, including the Board of Directors, funders, community residents and other stakeholders.
- Drafts and/or edits a variety of written documents, including but not limited to internal and external correspondence, briefing materials, grant proposals, grant reports and talking points for meetings and events.
- Drafts and/or edits presentation materials, including PowerPoint presentations and other documents.
- Is a key representative for the President and CEO and organization to a wide range of external and internal constituencies.
- Must have a demonstrated record of success to establish effective, collaborative relationships with all levels of constituents throughout a broad range of interest groups and manage sensitive and confidential information.
- Exercises discretion and judgment in resolution of mission-critical day-to-day assignments and requests.
- Supervises administrative staff to ensure appointments and meetings for the President and CEO and other Executive and Senior staff are scheduled and agendas and meeting materials are prepared and disseminated in a timely fashion, and serves as back up for the administrative staff, when needed, to ensure deliverables are done in a timely fashion.
- Supervises administrative staff to coordinate all travel arrangements for the President and CEO and Executive staff, as needed, including reservations, reimbursements, documentation and reporting, and serves as back up for the administrative staff, when needed, to ensure deliverables are done in a timely fashion. Knows the organization’s travel policies and can ensure compliance when making travel arrangements.
- Supervises administrative staff to maintain systems for organizing and retrieving materials and prepared documents.
- Coordinates internal and external staff and constituents to plan and manage events, initiatives and special projects as assigned, including participant attendance, related correspondence and other logistics.
- This position generally requires telecommuting and on-site attendance that will include some early mornings and/or late-night hours.
On a regular and continuous basis, exercises administrative judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and/or quality of service within the functional area.
This position is responsible for making decisions consistent with a variety of established procedures as well as creating and maintaining procedures and determining work priorities to meet deadlines.
Exercises discretion and independent judgment over his/her own work. Does supervise others, and works closely with the President and CEO, Chief Real Estate Officer, the Senior Director of Community Development and other EBDI administrative and finance team members and consultants.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position;
- On a regular and continuous basis, exercises administrative judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and/or quality of service within the functional area.
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment over his/her own work. Does supervise others, and works closely with the President and CEO, Chief Real Estate Officer, the Senior Director of Community Development and other EBDI administrative and finance team members and consultants.
- Possess the ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Have the ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. As well as being able to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete
- The ability to work in a team environment as well as working independently is a job requirement.
- Maintaining and developing good relationships with a broad range of stakeholders is essential. These include but are not limited to community residents, elected officials, funding partners, and the business
- Problem solving—The individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information
- Planning/organizing—The individual is detail oriented, prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time
- Multi-tasking – The individual is able to work on multiple projects at one
- Quality control—The individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors own work to ensure quality and applies feedback to improve
- Quantity—Meets productivity standards and completes work in a timely
- Adaptability—The individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected
- Dependability—The individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve
- Safety and security—The individual observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials
Bachelor's degree required. Five years’ experience in support of non-profit, academic, business, research and/or development activities and operations, providing high level administrative oversight, coordination, and advice required. Preference given to candidates with high level experience directly supporting executives at one of EBDI’s stakeholders and/or other leadership. Knowledge of or familiarity with local, state and federal government departments or agencies and the local and state philanthropic community is a plus.
Operates personal computer to access e-mail, electronic calendars, and other basic office support software. Should be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and graphics packages to assemble and create reports and presentations. Knowledge of Google documents, Dropbox and other similar platforms. Must have the ability to synthesize, analyze, and critique effectively. Be a self-starter and accountable to complete tasks and drive performance with minimal oversight. Attention to detail and able to correlate topics and information. Creative/imaginative with excellent organizational skills. A demonstrated ability to address/resolve difficult, multi-faceted problems. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to work long and unpredictable hours under pressure and consistently meet deadlines.
This position is located in an office environment where there are limited physical discomforts due to temperature, noise dust etc. Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time. Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard. Communication skills using the spoken word. Ability to see within normal parameters. Ability to hear within normal range. Ability to move about.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus. The employee will be required to be outside in variable weather elements.
This document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Other duties may be assigned.
The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies. Demonstrate strong ethical values, to act as a role model and keep confidentiality. To respect EBDI, its staff and partners as well as to all communities you interact with both in and outside of EBDI.