Marketing & Communications Manager
Howard County Tourism Council, Inc.
Salary Range: $45,000 - $52,000 annually (commensurate with experience)
Visit Howard County serves as the lead organization to market and develop Howard County, Maryland as
a premier leisure and business travel destination. We are an energetic and innovative organization of
talented and dedicated professionals who fulfill our mission by integrating the organization's work with
our partners and serving as a credible advocate for Howard County's tourism industry.
View the 2022 Visitors Guide HERE.
Click HERE to view our official website.
The Howard County Tourism Council, Inc. (DBA Visit Howard County) seeks a dynamic and experienced
marketing and communications professional to serve in a management position reporting directly to the
The Marketing & Communications Manager will be part of the management team that will help set
priorities and strategic imperatives for the future of the organization. The Marketing & Communications
Manager will manage the day-to-day marketing and communications operations, supervise a small
support staff, and work with outside agencies, freelancers, and partners.
This is a full-time position. Howard County Tourism Council offers competitive benefits and a friendly,
fast-paced work environment.
Management and Leadership
● Lead, manage, and develop the planning, execution, and analysis of marketing strategies, plans,
and pilot programs.
● Lead, manage, develop, update and maintain the organization’s website.
● Establish and maintain strong working relationships and stewardship of stakeholders including
business and community partners of the organization.
● Represent the organization in a confident and professional manner to stakeholders.
● Create and execute project briefs to execute campaigns and promotions to include identifying
external partners and vendors as well as securing assets as needed.
● Lead, manage, develop, coach, and retain marketing and communications support staff.
● Manage an annual advertising and marketing budget; regularly report outcomes and analysis.
● Apply, prepare, administer, track, and report on all external funding programs and grants.
● Plan, execute, track, and evaluate cooperative advertising opportunities for Visit Howard County
● Plan, execute, track, and evaluate marketing support for festivals
● Evaluate the effectiveness of all advertising and campaigns on a regular basis; share information
to provide insights and strategies to adjust campaigns for a greater return on investment and
return on mission.
● Prepare and present materials/findings both internally and externally to company stakeholders in
a transparent and forthcoming manner.
● Use a Destination Operating System as a strategic marketing tool and provide strategies to
capture additional information/demographics to use the platform most efficiently and to
tailor/segment marketing campaigns and opportunities.
● Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience in marketing, advertising, business, or related field.
● Experience in tourism, destination management, and/or hospitality marketing preferred.
● Experience vetting, selecting, and managing agency, vendor, and freelance relationships.
● Experience in navigating social media platforms and executing social posts and paid advertising.
● Ability to use standard office software, Adobe Creative Suite, Canva Design Platform, email
software, tourism data platforms, and CRM/CMS applications—such as SimpleView—at an
intermediate to advanced level.
● Maintains knowledge and expands usage of technical marketing and administrative tools and
● Excellent interpersonal, written, oral communication, and organizational skills.
● Excellent leadership, and relationship-building skills.
● Ability to report to the Visit Howard County office up to five (5) days per week.
● Occasional company-sponsored travel, including evenings, overnight, and weekend travel. May
require out of state travel.
This job description indicates, in general, the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and
other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an
incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as
Howard County Tourism and Promotion is an Equal Opportunity Employer