Transit Marketing SpecialistMontgomery County Transportation
Transit Marketing Specialist
The mission of the Montgomery County’s Department of Transportation (MCDOT) is to move people and connect places with the best transportation choices and services. MCDOT is seeking a Transit Marketing Specialist for the Commuter Services Section.
The Transit Marketing Specialist is responsible for conducting outreach and devising and implementing marketing plans and strategies to support the County’s Transportation Demand Management (TDM) policies and programs. The position works with three primary target markets to influence them to adopt TDM policies and programs: businesses, employees and residents. The position works with County employers to persuade them to adopt policies and programs supporting non-auto travel modes among their work force; and works directly with employees and residents to convince them to switch from driving alone to “alternative modes” (e.g., transit, car/vanpooling, walking, biking, telework).
The Marketing Specialist is also responsible for promoting bikeshare for short trips, commuting and connecting to transit, as part of the County’s TDM policies. This position will be required to conduct and attend Capital Bikeshare events and hold Commuter information fairs with employers. This includes the MCLiberty program which requires ongoing Outreach to County agencies and non-profit organizations that service the low-income population. This position is required to track and report bikeshare activity and memberships and conduct a number of other bikeshare-related functions. Candidate will also be responsible for collecting, organizing, analyzing data and compiling reports.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Planning and carrying out Commuter Information Fairs and special events designed to capture interest and incentivize action; conducting outreach for the Commuter Survey.
- Promoting bikeshare programs to County residents, employers and employees, hotels and other visitors’ venues as a means of commuting and connecting to transit.
- Promoting MCLiberty Program in conjunction with other County agencies and non-profit organizations, to enroll members from the low-income populations.
- Regularly updating a contact management database; researching new TDM programs and services.
- Providing technical assistance to businesses in formulating and implementing traffic mitigation plans required by County Code and completing reporting requirements.
- Making “Cold Calls”, researching prospects and conducting follow up communications on a regular basis with clients.
- Making persuasive presentations to business and employee groups, civic organizations, and County and Regional entities.
- Providing staff assistance to Transportation Management District Advisory Committees.
The ideal candidate will have excellent writing and presentation skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel and must be able to effectively use social media. He/she will be able to prepare newsletter articles, publications and display materials, and create simple graphic designs for use in promotional materials, and other communications. The selected candidate will be expected to work independently to conduct outreach and promotional efforts, as well as performing as part of a team.
This position requires the possession of a valid driver's license from applicant's state of residence and the ability to drive a County vehicle to attend meetings, transport marketing materials, or perform work at locations outside the office. Meetings can occur throughout Montgomery County and elsewhere in the metropolitan area for events, presentations and meetings, and may occur during days, evenings, and/or weekends.
The position requires lifting and moving objects weighing up to 15 pounds.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. If the candidate selected for this position possesses multilingual skills, he/she will be required to successfully pass an examination assessing oral communication, reading comprehension, and interpreting skills. For Advanced proficiency, the candidate must also pass an examination requiring translating text from other language to English and vice versa.
If selected for an interview, you may be required to provide a writing sample.