Custodian (Third Shift)
The Custodian (3rd Shift) maintains the cleanliness of the office buildings and classrooms of the college. They are expected to know cleaning methods and procedures as well as the material and equipment used in custodial work.
Requirements of the Position
Minimum Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Completion of the eighth grade
- Technology Skills: Basic computer skills
- Ability to get along well with others and be a team player.
- Willingness to do the job with a sense of pride.
- Follow oral instructions.
- Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees.
- Use and operate all custodial cleaning equipment and machinery.
- Work around loud noise levels, chemicals, fumes, and dusts.
- Lift up to 50 pounds.
Specific Role and Responsibilities
- Sweep and mop stairs, corridors, offices, classrooms and multi-function rooms.
- Vacuum carpet and spot clean carpet when necessary.
- Wash windows.
- Provide hard surface floor maintenance techniques including dust mopping, wet mopping, buffing and application of floor finishes including wax removal products.
- Polish furniture and clean woodwork.
- Pick up paper and debris on the grounds adjacent to the building entrances.
- Empty trash cans and clean containers.
- Clean restroom walls, floors, and fixtures and replenish bathroom supplies.
- Clean light fixtures and HVAC distribution registers.
- Maintain cleaning equipment.
- Stock and maintain janitor’s closets.
- Operate cleaning equipment including vacuum cleaner, buffer, floor scrubber and other associated equipment.
- Complete other assignments as directed by supervision.
General Employee Responsibilities
- Comply with local, state, and federal guidelines and laws.
- Comply with Northeast State Community College and Tennessee Board of Regents policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Comply with SACSCOC (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges) standards and guidelines.
- Promote and maintain College and TBR Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Promote and comply with Northeast State Community College SAFE Campus programs.
- Maintain digital calendar and archive annually on June 30. Provide supervisor with access to calendar and an archived copy of calendar for annual performance review.
- Seek efficiencies and continuous improvement in both position and personal growth.
- Lead/promote College and TBR initiatives as they relate to this office.
- In all duties assigned, show a commitment to quality, customer service, and Northeast State Community College: to include students, College employees, and the community served by Northeast State. Be an active and contributing part of the Northeast State Team
- Follow professional code of conduct and ethics; maintain professional dress in compliance with expectations of the position.
- Complete other assignments as directed by supervisor/President.
- Utilize effective people skills in working with internal and external customers.
- Demonstrate commitment to inclusive excellence.
- This position requires long periods of standing, bending and twisting, pushing and pulling, as well as stooping and squatting.
- This position requires a lot of walking in the buildings, up and down stairwells.
This is a third shift position. Regular work hours are 10:00 PM - 6:00 AM, Sunday-Thursday.
Compensation: $20,089 - $20,398 annual salary dependent on education and experience, plus a $975 annual shift differential
Contract Type: Fiscal, Full-Time Regular
Location of Position: Northeast State,
2425 Highway 75
Blountville, Tennessee, 37617
Open Until Filled: No
Application Deadline: April 22nd, 2021, 6:00 PM Eastern Time
Required Documents: To be considered for a position with Northeast State, the following documents are required: cover letter, resume/vitae, and unofficial transcripts. You will also be required to provide the contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references.
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for a position at Northeast State, you must create an online application. Your skills, abilities, qualifications, and years of experience will be evaluated using only what is recorded on your application. Please note: attaching a resume does not substitute for completion of the application form. Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% of full-time experience.
Requisition Number: req5484
Northeast State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as a protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulations and by Tennessee Board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies:
Linda W. Calvert
Vice President for Administration & Grant Development
P. O. Box 246
Blountville, TN 37617-0246
The Northeast State Community College policy on nondiscrimination can be found at https://apps.northeaststate.edu/ie/policymanual/pol.asp?p=254.
TO APPLY: Custodian (Third Shift)