Veterans Cemetery CaretakerThe Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs
The Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs is currently recruiting Veterans Cemetery Caretaker candidates for its State veterans cemeteries in Owings Mills, Crownsville, and Cheltenham, MD. A Veterans Cemetery Caretaker performs grounds keeping and building services work involving the care, beautification and maintenance of State cemetery grounds. Positions are full-time and eligible for full State benefits including health insurance, paid leave, and retirement. Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Examples of work include the following:
- Performs grounds keeping and building services work involving the care, beautification and maintenance of State cemetery grounds;
- Transports casket from the committal chapel, lowers casket at the gravesite, and maintains gravesite area;
- Locates and measures gravesites for future interments, sets initial grave markers, fills gravesites and installs permanent headstones;
- Operates large landscaping vehicles, pick-up trucks and dump trucks;
- Operates large power lawn mowers, power edgers and manual grounds equipment and tools;
- Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment, tools and buildings;
- Removes snow and ice from designated areas, including roofs, sidewalks and roads;
- Maintains roads, storm drains and parking areas on cemetery grounds;
- Plants, waters and prunes trees, shrubs and flowers;
- Sprays for weeds and insects, in compliance with Maryland State Pesticide Law, using unrestricted chemicals as required;
- Removes debris from cemetery grounds and ensures that lawns and grounds are properly manicured;
- May assist in opening and closing graves;
- May operate varied snow removal equipment, including those that are motorized;
- May load and unload supplies and equipment from trucks, and move and arrange furniture and equipment for meetings, special events and memorial services;
- Performs other related duties.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities include the following:
- Knowledge of the safe use and maintenance of manual and power tools and equipment used in the care, beautification and maintenance of grounds and buildings;
- Knowledge of the methods, materials and techniques used in routine equipment maintenance and repair;
- Ability to perform cemetery caretaker tasks, such as placement and alignment of grave markers, placement of sod, handling of caskets and repair of sunken gravesites;
- Ability to apply the methods and materials used in the care, beautification and maintenance of State cemetery grounds;
- Ability to safely operate grounds equipment, such as power lawnmowers and trimmers;
- Ability to move heavy items, including headstones weighing up to 230 pounds using motorized or power equipment;
- Ability to clean and maintain State cemetery grounds and buildings;
- Ability to use and maintain manual and power tools and equipment;
- Ability to remove snow and ice from outdoor areas;
- Ability to read warning labels and directions for safe use of supplies, materials and equipment;
- Ability to follow instructions.
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
To be considered, please send your name, address, phone number, and relevant qualifications and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to indicate your location preference, if any (Owings Mills, Crownsville, or Cheltenham).