MT Electrical Trades Supervisor IIUMBC Facilities Management
MT Electrical Trades Supervisor II
Job no: 492675
Work type: Staff Full-time
Location: UMBC Campus
Categories: Facilities/Grounds/Skilled Trades
The University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) offers 14,000 undergraduate and graduate students educational opportunities in engineering and information technology, the arts and humanities, sciences, pre-professional studies and social sciences. It is a National Research University with over 4 million SF of facilities, located on a 512-acre suburban campus in the heart of the Baltimore/Washington DC corridor; ranked by US News and World Reports Best Colleges Guide as the nation's top up and coming national university and as one of the top five most innovative Universities in the nation. The Chronicle of Higher Education named UMBC one of the best academic workplaces in the nation for the past eight years.
UMBC offers a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, substantial annual, sick, holiday and personal leave as well as tuition remission for staff and family members at any USM institution.
- Provide senior leadership and oversight for an in-house and contracted workforce responsible for the safe and efficient maintenance and repair of the campus electrical distribution system in compliance with applicable laws, standards and regulations;
- Oversee and direct the daily work of UMBC electrical shop, including the assigning, scheduling, coordinating and review of all routine service requests and preventive maintenance work orders through our computerized maintenance management system (CMMS);
- Perform all related administrative and financial duties on a daily basis, utilizing a variety of computer systems and applications for work order management, payroll review and approval, PO creation, budget tracking, email communications, etc.;
- Assist in preparing bid specifications and other information for service contracts and project work;
- Identify emergency and future planned budgetary needs;
- Develop and execute comprehensive, long-range programs for assessing, maintaining, repairing, and renewing all campus electrical infrastructure;
- Assist in the development of facilities repair, renovation, and construction projects;
- Provide comprehensive oversight of in-house and contracted maintenance and repair operations;
- Develop, implement and continuously improve internal processes and procedures to ensure all services meet client requirements within established budgets and schedules with minimum disruption to campus operations;
- Ensure that all programs and processes represent the best practices available;
- Select and develop a diverse workforce of inspired professionals through proactive mentorship, frequent evaluation, staff training and challenging assignments;
- Prepare reports and provide guidance to the Director of Operations and Maintenance to continually improve the safety, efficiency and reliability of operations;
- Prepare and execute departmental budgets; maintain appropriate internal controls; and ensure proper use of all tools, equipment, and resources;
- Review architect and engineer designs (new and modified) for compliance with Operations and Maintenance design standards and make recommendations and develop strategies for electrical utility related value engineering issues;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Education: A High School diploma or GED.
Experience: A minimum of eight years progressively responsible experience in the electrical trades preferably to include at least five years of experience testing, switching, troubleshooting and maintaining medium voltage electrical systems up to 13,800 volts. Must have five years of experience in a lead or supervisory capacity. Must be current with all electrical codes and practices. Must demonstrate expert knowledge of methods, materials, tools, practices, hazards, code compliance and safety precautions of electric trade (both high and low voltage).
Certification/Licensees: A valid non-commercial Class C or equivalent driver’s license.
Technical Skills: General knowledge of management principles and practices and the ability to apply those principles while managing all phases of work (planning, estimating, scheduling, budgeting, inspection and construction). Must demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly in both verbal and written form and must be proficient in the use of personal computers and computer software including word processing, spreadsheet, building automation systems and maintenance management programs. Must be able to work in a dynamic environment with changing priorities. Must be able to work closely and cooperatively with other trade supervisors and with other Facilities and university personnel.
Master Electrician License
Background Screening Statement:
A background check will be required.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Salary: Pay Range 15 (starting at $58,012) based on the University System of Maryland Pay Program Hours: Full-time Type: Regular FLSA Status: Nonexempt Equal Opportunity Statement: UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Work Authorization As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.