Director, Capital Projects Management
The University of Maryland Baltimore seeks an innovative, engaged Construction Project Management Leader to manage a Capital Construction and Renovation Project Portfolio valued at $1.0 Billion. Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Facilities and Operations, the successful candidate will direct UMB’s Regional Service Center providing life cycle project management services to five University System of Maryland (USM) institutions in the Baltimore Area. Working with a broad array of institutional customers and leaders, design and construction professionals, and State officials, the new Director will plan and manage the design and construction of state-of-the-art, attractive, sustainable facilities supporting the Universities’ missions.
About the Organization
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland. Opened in 1807, UMB is Maryland’s public health, law, and human services university, dedicated to excellence in education, research, clinical care, and public service.
UMB enrolls over 7,100 students in six nationally ranked professional schools — dentistry, law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and social work — and an interdisciplinary Graduate School. The University offers 80 doctoral, master’s, baccalaureate, and certificate programs and confers most of the professional practice doctoral degrees awarded in Maryland. UMB is a thriving academic health center combining cutting-edge biomedical research and exceptional patient care. UMB’s extramural funding totaled $688 million in Fiscal Year 2020.
UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021).
This EXEMPT position offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
- Establishes strategic initiatives for USM and the University; develops and implements policies, procedures, and processes that both achieve established goals and represent industry best practices.
- Creates a cohesive team that works collaboratively to achieve University and Department goals. Hires, trains, motivates, mentors, professionally develops, and evaluates a professional staff of five Project Managers.
- Negotiates design, construction, and specialty service contracts and major contract changes.
- Prepares project plans, budgets and schedules including yearly updates to the University System of Maryland 5-year Capital Improvement Program. Develops processes to monitor and periodically report project progress and issues to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops, implements, and continually improves standard operating procedures, policies, and processes for department operations. Develops and implements internal controls to ensure compliance with all applicable rules, regulations, and laws. Conducts necessary compliance proficiency training.
- Monitors developments in federal and state design and construction laws and regulations and assesses their impact on capital project design and construction.
- Works in collaboration with other affiliates and agencies, including the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), on legislative matters that affect the UMB community.
- Proactively represents the University and Department through participation in meetings, conferences, and special projects.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field required. Masters preferred.
Certification: Project Management Institute PMP or CMAA Certified Construction Manager (CCM) required, or ability to obtain certification within 12 months of hire.
Experience: Twelve years of experience in institutional or commercial construction project management. Four years of leadership experience including responsibility for staff recruitment, training, evaluation, and professional development. Experience in the use of Alternate Construction Delivery processes preferred.
Financial Disclosure Required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of Capital Project planning, design and construction.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to explain complex subjects to a broad range of audiences.
- Exceptional teambuilding and change management skills.
- Ability to develop compelling mission and vision statements. Ability to cultivate and strengthen the relationships necessary to implement and achieve the mission and vison.
- Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws.
- Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems.
- Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
Commitment to Diversity:
We believe every person brings with them unique strengths, experiences, and perspectives and we value these differences. One of our best opportunities to deliver a workplace that is diverse, inclusive, and focused on equality is to hire candidates who share these values.
The successful candidate for this position will be able to describe and demonstrate their commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness as well as how they contribute to a respectful, positive workplace.
UMB has hired a Search Consultant to assist with this Search. Submit all applications, including resumes and cover letters, nominations, and referrals, to:
All information submitted will be held in strict confidence.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.