AGRICULTURAL TECHNICIAN LEAD (FT)
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION
Title: Agricultural Technician Lead
Position Number: 116413
Category Status: Nonexempt, Regular
Applicant Search Category: Staff
Unit: AGNR-AES-CMREC-BARC (12000 Beaver Dam Road, Laurel, MD 20708)
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Assist Manager in the day-to-day operations of the facility and will be responsible for maintenance
of farm and specialized agricultural research equipment. Work with manager to coordinate activities for researchers and others performing research and extension activities at the facility. Carry out fieldwork, tilling, planting, fertilizing, spraying, harvesting for traditional and non-traditional agricultural crops and research plots. Assume responsibilities of facility manager when Manager is absent from the facility.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Three years’ experience with agricultural research.
• Valid Maryland Noncommercial Class C or equivalent driver’s license.
• Maryland Commercial Driver's License (CDL) required or attained within six (6) months of
• Maryland Public Agency Applicator's Certification required or attained within eighteen (18)
months of employment.
• Additional related agricultural experience and formal education that has provided
knowledge, skills and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may
be substituted on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year
• General knowledge and understanding of basic agricultural procedures, conservation
practices, entomological problems, research protocols and basic field plot design.
• Knowledge of nutrient management regulations
• Ability to handle small and large scale farm equipment; must possess some degree of
mechanical and carpentry skills; must possess skills to calculate and calibrate sprayers,
fertilizer spreaders, planters and harvesting equipment; and the skills to operate agricultural
equipment and computerized yield measurement equipment and GPS.
• Must have knowledge of EPA regulations for biotech crops and the ability to interpret &
follow requirements/restrictions on research plots.
• Must have good communications skills, both written and oral and be able to interact with
staff, researchers, vendors, public and others.
Physical Demands: Heavy lifting, extreme weather conditions, hazardous materials, working
environment may have allergens (i.e. dust, mold, grasses, etc.). Must wear and work in personal
Salary and Benefits: Salary will commensurate with experience: The University of Maryland offers
an extensive benefits package. Base salary: $41,944 per year.
Applications: All applicants must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu. For additional
information, please contact Kevin Conover, Facility Mgr. at 301-345-1225.
Closing Date: Applications accepted through June 2, 2023.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities and admissions.