Agricultural Technician Lead
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION
Title: Agricultural Technician Lead
Position Number: 103043
Category Status: Nonexempt, Regular - Staff
Unit: AGNR-AES-CMREC-Southern Maryland Research Facility (Upper Marlboro, Maryland)
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Responsible for assisting supervisor in the day-to-day operations and maintenance of facility with all aspects of field experiments and research, application of experimental treatments, plot maintenance, small and large plot harvesting, data collection and facility maintenance. Assist supervisor with Poultry Research operations and animal care. Assist with repairs and maintenance of property and equipment to ensure operational readiness, safety and cleanliness.
• High School Diploma or GED
• Three years on agricultural research utilizing scientific methods.
• Valid Maryland Noncommercial Class C or equivalent driver’s license.
• State of Maryland Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) required or can be obtained within 6 mos.
• Maryland Public Agency Applicator’s Certification required or can be obtained within 18 mos. of
• Three years experience with agricultural research *
• Additional related agricultural experience and formal education that has provided knowledge,
skills and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted
on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
• Comprehensive knowledge of farming practices.
• Knowledge of scientific methods and research protocols. Knowledge and understanding of
Hazmat policies and regulations.
• Thorough knowledge and skill in the use of farm and specialized agricultural equipment.
• Ability to provide guidance and training to agricultural technicians and student workers.
• Ability to use computers and to communicate effectively (oral and written).
• Operation and general maintenance of farm tractors, plows, disc, planters, combines and farm
trucks, perform basic equipment repairs, calibrations and adjustments (shop and field) to all
types of farm equipment, harvest in research and general rotational crops.
• Performance and knowledge of primary and secondary tillage systems. Comprehension of
research, pesticide application and lab protocols for safe operation, handle field and
experimental plot area rotations, research and rotational crop seeding, planting, maintaining
and harvesting, understanding of soil amendments and pesticide application, capable of utilizing mathematics in the application of chemicals and fertilizers, familiar with proper equipment adjustment for maximum operating efficiency. • Poultry handling and care is an essential duty. Will assist Manager in preparing the facility for arrival/departure of birds and general care (i.e. feeding & maintenance). Research plot maintenance, mowing and general upkeep of facility.
• Handle supplies, materials and equipment maintained at the facility, computer knowledge necessary for data input, data analysis, information recording, familiar with internet and usage of UMD-Electronic forms.
Ability to work in a harsh environment; excessive heat, cold, dirt & noise. Must be able to tolerate strenuous physical activity in adverse weather conditions. Ability to lift 50-100 lbs. & transport supplies, tools, and equipment, to climb and perform extensive standing and walking. Ability to wear personal protective equipment. Position deemed essential - Catastrophic & Weather/Other Related - Occasional work may be performed beyond normal work hours due to weather and other factors.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will commensurate with experience, with base salary of $41,944 per year. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
Applications: All Interested persons must submit their application via our website: https://ejobs.umd.edu. For more information, contact Donny Murphy, Facility Mgr. at 301-627-8440.
Closing Date: Applications accepted through March 3, 2023.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation, or gender identity and expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.