Agricultural Technician Supervisor
University of Maryland Beltsville Facility in Laurel, MD. Duties: Must organize & carry out field work; tilling, planting, fertilizing, spraying, harvesting for traditional & non-traditional agricultural crops and research plots. Will also operate farm equipment, tractors (180 HSP& less), plows, disc, planters, combines and heavy duty trucks. Must possess or obtain within six months a Maryland Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Qualifications: H. S. Degree or GED and six (6) years’ experience in agricultural work; two of which must have been in a lead or supervisory role. Details/Apply: https://ejobs.umd.edu/ (Position #103058). Closing Date: January 28, 2022. Contact Mr. Kevin Conover (Beltsville) 301-345-1225. EOE/AA.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION
Title: Agricultural Technician Supervisor – (REPOST)
Position Number: 103058
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Provide assistance and support to the Facility Manager in the daily operations of research and outreach programs located at the Beltsville Facility. Will work with Manager to coordinate activities for researchers and others performing research and extension activities at the facility. Will organize and carry out field work; tilling, planting, fertilizing, spraying, harvesting for traditional and non-traditional agricultural crops and research plots. Will also operate farm equipment, farm tractors (180 HSP & less), plows, disc, planters, combines and farm trucks requiring a valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License. Will assume responsibilities of Facility Manager when Manager is absent from the facility.
- Performs various activities to support agricultural research; conducts chemical analysis of soil and plants; develops, plan, design and layout of plot work; plants, observes and records changes in plant growth, disease and insect conditions.
- Collects specified data, ensuring adherence to research protocol; summarizes findings and prepares reports.
- Performs agricultural activities such as preparing seed, fertilizer and chemicals for plot application; planting, maintaining and harvesting field plots and preparing plots for future experimentation and events.
- Operates standard equipment including personal computers, computer controllers for planters, sprayers, fertilizer spreaders and yield monitors, calculators, and various farm equipment (i.e. farm tractors (180 HSP or less); plows, disc, planters, combines and farm trucks).
- Supervises and trains subordinate personnel; determines work priorities, plans, schedules, assigns, reviews and evaluate work.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Six years of experience with agricultural research, two years of which must have been in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Valid Maryland Noncommercial Class C or equivalent driver’s license.
- Maryland Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) – or obtain within six months of employment.
- Maryland Public Agency Applicator’s Certificate – or obtain within 18 months of employment.
- Additional related agricultural experience and formal education that has provided knowledge, skills and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Agricultural Technician Supervisor, Beltsville Facility
Physical Demands: Heavy lifting, extreme weather conditions, hazardous materials, working environment may have allergens (i.e. dust, mold, grasses, etc.). Must wear and work in personal protection clothing.
Salary and Benefits: Salary will commensurate with experience, with base salary of $46,295.00/year. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
Applications: All candidates must submit their applications online at https://ejobs.umd.edu for position# 103058. For more specific information please contact Kevin Conover, Facility Mgr. at 301-345-1225.
Closing Date: January 28, 2022.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. The University of Maryland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities, Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.