UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EXTENSION (UME)
Functional Title: Coordinator (Horticultural Consultant)
Position Number: 126411
Category Status: Contingent II, Exempt, Part-time (80% FTE)
Unit: AGNR-UME-Home and Garden
Home Office Location: Central Maryland Research & Education Center, 12005 Homewood Rd, Ellicott City, MD 21042
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Home and Garden Information Center (HGIC) is a national leader in garden/landscape and pest management education and problem-solving. Master Gardeners, schools, agencies, non-profits, and residents use HGIC’s information and answers across multiple digital platforms- web pages, social media, blog, enewsletter, and YouTube.
HGIC provides direct answers to residents who submit questions and photos 24/7 via the “Ask Extension” widget found on UME web pages. The Coordinator will work 32 hours per week answering questions submitted by clientele, assigning questions to Master Gardeners, and writing and reviewing content for the website and other platforms. The job location is the Central Maryland Research & Education Center/Clarksville facility.
- Use science-based resources to directly answer the garden, lawn, landscape, insect, and plant problem questions of Maryland residents via the online national “Ask Extension” system. This includes making plant and pest problem diagnoses and recommendations, identifying plants and insects, and educating clients about best practices in sustainable horticulture.
- Answer questions accurately, efficiently, and courteously (with support of UME faculty) by searching internal and external web resources and digital files.
- Review and revise existing content and write and review new content for website, blog, print media, and other platforms. Expand on and re-purpose Ask Extension questions and answers and work as part of a team to identify priority topic areas.
- Stay current on subject matter and computer software through professional development opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted for the degree. Minimum of 5 years of experience working with garden and landscape plants, identifying plant and pest problems, and understanding the principles and practices of sustainable horticulture and integrated pest management.
- Strong computer software skills are essential, including Microsoft Office, web search, and ability to work between platforms.
- Must be able to pass a quiz on plant identification and plant problem solving.
- This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Degree disciplines preferred in plant sciences, horticulture, botany, environmental sciences, entomology, landscape architecture, or related fields.
- Work experience practicing and/or teaching plant identification and plant problem solving skills. Must be able to demonstrate or document this experience.
- Ability to work independently and to function as part of a team.
- Strong oral, written, and electronic communication skills are essential.
- Master Gardener certification helpful but not required.
Physical Demands of the Position:
- Work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards.
- Must have close visual acuity and be able to work on a computer and view monitor for 4-8 hours per day.
- Must have the ability to walk short distances.
- Must be able to drive and provide personal transportation to events or training venues.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. University benefits are offered including supplemented health benefits and a retirement stipend, along with a generous leave package.
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/84962. A complete application packet includes a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Closing Date: For best consideration, apply by July 27, 2021 or until an acceptable candidate is identified.