Data Quality Engineer, IT Engineer
Position title: Data Quality Engineer, IT Engineer
Position #: 126849
The Data Quality Engineer will report directly to the Manager, Master Data Management (MDM), Enterprise Data Services (EDS) within the Division of Information Technology (DIT).
This position offers a unique opportunity to join EDS and contribute to a strategic initiative to improve data-driven decision-making on campus.
As a Data Quality Engineer at the University of Maryland, you will be responsible for data quality related to our Data Management tool suite to support the creation of a new Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW). Our data sets are focused on institutional information from multiple sources across the enterprise to meet our business needs. As a member of a team, you will be working on projects that involve creating Data Quality processes and functions. You will be involved in data related activities such as data profiling, cleansing, deduplication, standardization, and conversion. The Data Quality Engineer will be collaborating with cross-functional business and technology teams to implement the data quality processes and services. The ideal candidate has a passion for quality, educational services and data technologies.
The position requires a thorough knowledge of data test architecture. Advanced SQL skills are required, with ability to perform data source and root cause analysis, and prior successful data warehouse implementation. Experience creating, executing, and validating test plans, and translating business requirements. Excellent communication skills, ability to create clear and concise documentation, and demonstrated organizational skills are also required for this position. Ability to collaborate with non-technical stakeholders is required to ensure data quality, user acceptance, and issue resolution.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information systems or a related IT discipline
- At least 2 years of quality assurance experience primarily in data solutions
- At least 2 years of hands-on SQL development experience
- Extensive experience creating and documenting test plans, test case scenarios, and processes
- Well versed in testing methodologies (e.g. black box, white box, system, functional, exploratory, and automated testing)
- Strong analytical skills and ability to translate business requirements into technical specifications
- Experience supporting triage and investigation of data operational issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with at least two common database platforms (i.e. Oracle, SQL Server, Teradata, etc)
- Self-motivated, energetic, detail oriented and a team player
- Experience working with educational data
- Experience working with data virtualization tools
- Experience with Informatica, SAS, or other MDM technologies
- Experience with Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau, SAS, JasperReports, or AWS QuickSight
- Background in data warehousing, data testing frameworks and automation
- Data Analytics experience
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Must have the ability to walk short distances to attend meetings on campus.
Best consideration date: 12/03/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/90069
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.