Database Administrator, DBA (SQL Server/Oracle)
University of Maryland Division of Information Technology College Park, MD Full-time Information Services / Technology (IT)
Posted on October 8, 2021
Position title: Database Administrator, DBA (SQL Server/Oracle)
Position #: 106524
Position #: 106524
Database Administrator (DBA) is a member of the Database Administration unit of the Enterprise Data Services (EDS). The position has responsibility for providing comprehensive database management and administration for operational and project support of enterprise level cross-campus services for the University of Maryland. The position involves managing Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle database systems primarily.
- The position requires comprehensive knowledge and expertise with Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, as well as relational database concepts and products essential for the mission of the EDS team.
- Manage SQL Server / Oracle databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.·
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, availability, deployment and security.
- Administration, Patch management, Upgrade and integrity of Databases MSSQL (2016 and above) and Oracle (12c and above)
- Technical expertise in areas related to the integration of local, cloud or hosted services (PaaS, IaaS), monitoring, analysis, performance tuning, security and application tools.
- Active interaction with the Infrastructure team to ensure successful implementation and migration of projects to AWS.
- The position includes responsibility for implementing the appropriate security controls, processes, and best practices to ensure compliance with State and University System audit requirements.
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end and prompt customer service·
- Independently analyze, refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Provide 24×7 support for critical production systems. Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related major.
- 6+ years of Database Administration and Maintenance of Enterprise-level computing Database Systems (MSSQL,Oracle). 1-year experience of MySQL preferred
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization, using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Experience with Cloud Database Services (AWS, Azure)
- Experience in T-SQL and SQL
- Experience with Backups, Restores and Recovery models
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server and Oracle.
- Strong, working knowledge of relational database technology, client/server computing techniques and solutions, distributed systems management concepts, networking and security
- Must be self-motivated, highly responsible, and service-oriented. Must be efficient, focused, and be able to work independently as well in a team.
- Must possess and exercise strong problem-solving skills. Must work concurrently on multiple projects, adjust rapidly to occasional significant changes in priorities, and respond efficiently and effectively in emergencies.
- Experience with PowerShell / Unix scripting.
- MCTS or Oracle or AWS certification.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Must have the ability to walk short distances to attend meetings on campus.
Best consideration date: 10/22/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/88390
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.