IT Security EngineerUniversity of Maryland Division of Information Technology
The Security Engineer reports directly to the Director, Infrastrastructure Services Engineering. The Infrastructure Services Engineering group is responsible for designing the platform, network, and collaboration systems that the University of Maryland relies on.
The Security Engineer is responsible for understanding security requirements, industry best practices and current system designs. Responsible for identifying gaps or areas for improvement, and making recommendations for how to improve the overall security posture of service offerings. The Security Engineer will be involved in all stages of the service life-cycle both working to improve initial service/system designs from an architectural and administrative standpoint, as well as making similar improvements to existing production services.
The Security Engineer is expected to be analytical and follow a risk-based approach and be able to effectively gather information about complex network and system configurations and prioritize improvements accordingly. The Security Engineer will need to work closely with system and network administrators, managers, DIT Security staff, and additional stakeholders in order to do this, so communication skills, both written and verbal, are very important.
The Security Engineer will be responsible for prototyping and testing new solutions, and will take part in, and sometimes lead, the hands-on activities associated with security enhancements. Assists Director, Infrastructure Services Engineering in developing and maintaining security improvement plans for the group.
Documentation and presentation skills are a critical component of this position. Design documents will contain diagrams, purpose statements, stakeholder requirements, test plans, required personnel and hardware resources, cost estimates and schedules. Presentation skills are required to present designs, market solutions to stakeholders, and to provide training to operations staff to medium sized groups (<20). Presentations may involve public speaking, utilization of current technology tools such as video clips and social networks and/or written communications.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years’ experience in large-scale IT environment (i.e. Higher Education/ISP/Internet/eCommerce/ASP/Web hosting/Large Enterprise).
● 5+ years of experience with both networking and systems administration
● 3+ years of experience performing security related system improvements
Associate’s degree and 7 years’ related experience.
H.S. diploma and 9 years’ related experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understanding of virtualization technologies
● Understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies
● Experience analyzing current system configurations, and researching, proposing and implementing security improvements
● Ability to prototype and implement new applications and configurations that improve security
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems or related field preferred
● Security related certification such as CEF, CISM, CompTIA Security+, SANSGIACSecurity Essentials, CISSP
● Additional systems and/or networking certifications a plus
● Experience in a higher education environment is preferred
● Experience with scripting and the ability to implement automation tasks
● Identify functions that can be improved by process development and implementation
● Participate in professional training programs and conduct presentations to engineering staff
Additional information: Excellent leave, medical coverage, retirement and tuition-remission benefits. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: sedentary work. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Must have the ability to walk short distances to attend meetings on campus.
Best consideration date: 11/22/2019 or open until filled
Position #: 106486