Windows Systems Senior Engineer, IT Senior Engineer
Position title: Windows Systems Senior Engineer, IT Senior Engineer
Position #: 106405
The Division of IT (DIT) at the University of Maryland, College Park has an immediate need for a Desktop Engineer to become a member of our Platform Engineering group. The specific emphasis of the role includes the development and design of Windows OS Systems in the enterprise leveraging automation tools while ensuring the integrity & security of the Windows Server environment. This is a highly technical role and requires solid competence of all aspects of software and cloud infrastructure. This includes the creation of technical design documentation and integration plans. The Platform/Infrastructure Engineer will be part of an enterprise wide Platform Engineering group and will work actively as a member of the technical team developing technical solutions. The candidate will be expected to implement and manage enterprise solutions for specific business needs that provide frameworks, interfaces and services that can be extended and reused for future requirements. We are seeking an engineer that enjoys problem solving while working in a team environment and that has a diverse technical background from a variety of technical fields.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years as a system administrator working with Windows server operating systems in a large, enterprise, Active Directory environment.
- Experience deploying, integrating, configuring, and securing Microsoft Windows 2012 and 2016 servers in standalone environments and as hybrid environments (on-prem and in the cloud).
- Experience automating processes using the following programming\scripting languages: Windows PowerShell, .NET and Batch.
- Experience performing systems planning and development to include new features in the Windows server operating system as well as the ability to deploy new applications and services.
- Experience with VMware virtualization in a large enterprise environment.
- Experience managing production infrastructure with configuration management systems with the Microsoft System Center Suite (SCCM, SCOM, Scorch).
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation and presentation skills.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to multi-task and adjust to changing priorities.
- Must assist, guide, and share information with technical and non-technical personnel.
- Must be able to work well with others in a cooperative work environment.
- MS Certifications – Microsoft Certified Azure Administrator Associate or Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert
- Microsoft SQL 2008/2012/2014 experience
- Experience creating and maintaining infrastructure using AWS and/or Azure cloud services
- Experience with VMware ESX server, VMware virtual center, V-Motion, and other products for virtualization
- Experience with Azure Virtual Desktops (AVD)
- Understanding of a higher education environment.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: predominantly operates in an office environment. Some periods of time may be spent in computer rooms for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 5%) requires moving and lifting of server equipment.
Best consideration date: 12/03/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/90070
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.